Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day Two - The Day I realized I'm not creative with post titles...

Well today was a busy, busy day, although it didn't get started until after 1pm. Me and the roommates went to visit the Museum of London, which basically chronicles the history of the London area from before it was settled, through the early settlements and the Roman "Londinium" all the way through to present day. Just outside there was a wall built by the Romans 2000 years ago!


After the museum, which was very well done, extremely entertaining, and best of all free, we decided to wander the area. We ended up walking through the financial district, and found this cool little urban workout station down by the river. There was a timed 40 meter dash course and a section designed to be used for sit-ups and other exercises.

After that, we visited the tower bridge which was very cool to see and walk across, and then made our way back home. After dinner, we went to see a performance of "Once," which I had never heard of, but turned out to be a really good introduction to London theater. We had a little tour through the SoHo, and Mayfair areas, before a few of us decided to trek out on our own. Walking along Park Lane, I saw some of the poshest sites I'm ever likely to see. Although earlier in the day, I saw my first Aston Martin!



One driveway along Park Lane contained a Range Rover, a top of the line Audi, an Aston Martin, and a Porsche. Parked on one of the streets we walked down was a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS, which isn't available in the US, but sells in GB for the equivalent of $120,000. Just unbelievable to me the kind of money some people in that section of the city have. Apparently it is some of the most expensive real estate in the entire world! Eventually, we made our way past Buckingham Palace, and down to Big Ben before crossing over a beautiful little foot bridge and back to our home. I walked excessively far in probably the worst walking shoes I brought, but every minute of it was worth the sites I saw! That's all for day two, and even I have no idea what adventures tomorrow will bring!




No comments:

Post a Comment